Thursday 12 March 2009

DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT - Bird Apparel

Bird Apparel

This weeks spotlight is shining down on a Toronto Resident by the name of Anita Condron, and her company Bird Apparel. She has been influenced by design and creativity from a young age and has some strong role models too look up too, as you will find out in her interview. All her products are handmade and sweatshop free. Take a look closer at;


www.birdapparel.ca

birdapparel.etsy.com


Interview


1. What made you start Bird Apparel?
I've been designing and sewing clothes from a young age. My Nonna and Nonno were designers, but went by the titles seamstress and tailor. I grew up around fabric and sewing machines, so I guess it's always been a part of me. I studied Fashion Design, but it wasn't until after I had kids and was home that I decided to make clothing and sell it on-line.

2.
Who has inspired your designs? It's hard to say really who or what inspires my designs. I tend not to read too many magazines or watch many fashion shows, so I think I get most of my inspiration from street style, what my friends like, nature and music. I get these little ideas in my head, and I'm not always sure where they come from.

3. Do you design and make everything yourself?
Yes, I do design and make everything myself in my basement sweatshop!!!

4. Whose clothes and accessories do your wear other then yours the most? (fav clothing company?)

I don't have one particular favourite clothing store or designer. I don't like labels either. I'm not concerned about what the tag says and if it cost $1 or $100. Actually, I'm a total bargain shopper. I also love vintage clothing, and scouring through thrift shops. I love finding great vintage buys on Etsy. There's some really cool stuff here.

5. Most played on your itunes at the moment?
Most played on my i-tunes: I'm listening to a lot of 80's new wave and new romantics right now. I'm finding all this stuff that I used to listen to as a kid and it still sounds amazing today. But my top 5 played are: The Jam – A Town Called Malice, The Kinks – Come Dancing, Justice – Genesis, Jarvis Cocker – Fat Children, Madness - It Must Be Love.

6. Top 5 musical artists?

My top five musical artists would have to be (not in any specific order): Belle and Sebastian, Pulp, Nick Drake, The Beatles, PJ Harvey, The Stone Roses, Paul Weller. That was seven - I couldn’t decide!









No comments:

Post a Comment

 
TopOfBlogs